Sunday, January 27, 2008

Six Quirky Things

I have been tagged by Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee to do this meme. I really have no idea what a meme is or how it is pronounced, but I will follow the rules.

The rules for this meme are: (1) Link to the person that tagged you. (2) Post the rules on your blog. (3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself. (4) Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. (5) Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

So, these are very random quirks I suppose -

1. I love ice and I have this thing for having enough ice at all times, even in the winter. It is like maybe I have this fear of not having ice for my drinks. I have been known to have an ice maker in the freezer and also keep 10 ice trays full and going at all times. One of the cardinal sins is to empty the ice tray and NOT refill it. I love ice so much that my dream kitchen will have a built in ice maker - the kind that makes the little Sonic ice. My sweet husband knows of my love for ice and gave me a counter top ice maker that I can fill with distilled water and have distilled ice for my distilled water! Wasn't that so extra special sweet and thoughtful of him?

2. I sleep with a light on. I am not afraid of the dark, I am afraid of getting up and tripping over something and falling and knocking something down and making a huge racket and waking up everyone in the house - who just happens to be only my husband at this stage of life, but I still don't want to wake him. I usually leave the closet light on with the door cracked some, or a lamp in another room so that I can have light. I don't like lots that shines in my closed eyes and makes them want to open. I only want a little, but more than a night light.

3. Even though you may not be able to tell it from my writing, I do not like (hate - would actually be a better word) bad grammar. It bothers me to no end to hear someone use bad grammar. I especially get upset with mismatching subject and verb. I have been known to have a fit and rant and rave with my children and accuse them of cussing and sinning when they used bad English. They KNEW better and it is a sin to do something if you know better! (that was my reasoning anyway). When my oldest son started kindergarten in a southern state he talked with perfect English with proper pronunciation. He came home from school the first day and I was horrified! He was saying... "we'uns", "you'uns", "us'uns", and "they'uns".... I told him he had better not EVER use those words around me again or he would get a spanking!

4. I have a hard time knowing what to do with greeting cards. Hallmark would hate me. I get so frustrated and stressed out because I can not find a card that says what I want it to say - and so I don't usually buy one. Then when someone sends me one, I don't know what to do with it. I feel guilty if I throw it away. I don't want to keep it because it adds to my huge stack of clutter. I don't know if I am supposed to write them back to thank them, or go and buy one to send to them (again stress and frustration), or if a call is expected or if email is acceptable. It is nice to get them, don't get me wrong... I just don't know WHAT to do with it after I read it.

5. I carry my own pillow on trips. I have even been known to take out extra clothes so that I could pack my pillow! I prefer car trips so that I can have it handy in case I want to take a quick nap... which I do often in the car. There is something about getting into the passenger seat that puts me to sleep - much to the dismay of my husband who loves a good conversation and company on trips. My parents joke about the trip we took when I was about 13. We drove from Georgia to Minnesota, to San Diego and then back to Georgia. They said I slept the entire way. The only time I woke up was when we stopped to sight see or eat.
Back to the pillow. I love my pillow. It is a nice down/feather pillow my husband gave me years ago and is so comfortable. But, the main reason I take my pillow to places like hotels is that I don't know who or what or whatever has been on that pillow. I just prefer to know it is my pillow and has had my dog asleep on it in my lap for the trip... that's okay because I KNOW where it has been.

6. I am a collector of "things" - nicnacs. I have boxes and boxes in storage of these things that I have collected through the years. Having lived in a parsonage that is furnished the only thing that makes it MY home are all the little nicnac things... that you have to dust and put out. They are a reflection of my life and my love and my friends and family. Some are really really nice and some are really REALLY ugly and they are in boxes. I don't want to get rid of them because they have special sentimental value. Because we move often, and have had different decors and colors, I am able to use different things. I rotate them in and out of boxes depending on what color or style I need. I see in the future that will stop because I now have my own furniture that will move with me wherever I go. So what is in the boxes now, will probably be disposed of eventually. I know my family thanks me. My husband thanks me because he is the one who has to move all those boxes!


Yea! Now I get to tag random people... hehehe

1. Rebekah at The LaBouffs
2. Pam at Splashes of Joy
3. Cheryl at Whispers From The Heart
4. Peggy at Lifespeakers
5. Maggy at Magnanimity
6. Mandy at Mandy - Just A Girl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me. Me. Me.

It's short for "talk about me"!

We are a lot alike. Love my own pillow, no lights at bedtime, though. Keep my cards!

The LaBouffs said...

Okay...I'm working on my list!

Julie said...

I hear you on the ice trays, leaving them empty. How come the kids know how to empty them but they can't figure out how to fill them and put them back???

HAVE to have MY pillow. How do people sleep without theirs????

I LOVE shaved ice. It's the best.

There is no way my husband would sleep with ANY light on. He even wants me to take the phone off the charger as it has a 'TINY' little light. The funny thing is, if I am in the middle of something and the lights are still on and he goes to bed. He sleeps without moving. How does he know that little tiny light is on ON MY SIDE OF THE BED??? Still don't understand that one!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It always blesses me when people come to visit.

Be blessed,
Julie

mandy said...

its only been fifteen thousand years since you tagged me for this.

posting today!
:)