Saturday, January 12, 2008

German Chocolate Cookies

Here is the recipe for the cookies that caused me to fail the other night. Thought I'd share with you.

Cookie:
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
1/3 cup butter - melted

Topping: (*)
1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1/2 cup butter - softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, milk , 1/2 cup butter, vanilla and egg yolks. Blend well. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 13 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut and pecans. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.

Reserve 1 1/4 cups of topping mixture: set aside.

In a large bowl, combine cookie ingredients and remaining topping mixture. Stir by hand until thoroughly moistened.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With thumb, make an indentation in center of each ball. fill each indentation with rounded 1/2 tsp of reserved topping.

Bake at 35 degrees for 10 to 13 min. or until set. Cool 5 min. remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

(*) option- you can used the canned topping instead of making the topping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man oh Man! I can't wait to make them. Thanks for sharing....Yippee! I can't wait to become more german.
say say

The LaBouffs said...

Yum...those do sound good. Maybe I better NOT make them...seeing as how I've eaten everything in site this last week!

Beverlydru said...

This is my first visit with you and I like you already... a naturopath that still will admit to loving German Chocolate Cookies. I thought I might be the only health nut that loves sprouts and hershey's kisses equally. : )
Looking forward to getting to know you!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Well, Merrie, thanks for spreading your failure around! Ha just kidding. they sound too delicious!

Elsa said...

Yum...I must make these! Have you tried the Neiman Marcus recipe?? Pretty yummy I must say.