Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Findings

This afternoon I have been trying to go through some of the last remaining boxes from the garage. I had hugsum bring a couple in.



I had been not wanting to deal with them because of how they were labeled. I just can't figure out where to put the things that are in them.




I knew they were full of silver trays... silver bowls, silver things like butter dishes and pitchers and tea sets.... serving dishes... I have been blessed through the years with being given silver. Not sure why - I guess it is what you give to the Pastor and his wife when you don't know what else to give them... they may be starving and needing money desperately ... but someone says, "let's give them a SILVER TRAY!"


I don't mean to be ungrateful. It is just that at the time and even now, I find them totally useless and don't know what to do with them.

They are very pretty and very nice and have lots of sentimental value. I really do love silver. Especially some that I received from my mama.

And one rummage sale someone gave lots of silver to be sold. Two of the precious ladies spend days polishing it and presented it to me as a gift. Those are all very special to me.



Well, a long story... but when I opened the box, THIS is what I saw! No silver, only fabric... Years ago I had done some sewing for a good friend. These are some of the pieces from that and also some fabric from my sister. I dug a little deeper and uncovered lots of tablecloths that have lots of handwork on them. No telling how old they are. But wrapped inside were some of my mama's silver trays.



I have not looked in these boxes for over 3 years - I just knew it was "only silver". Imagine my surprise at what I found.

I still don't know what to do with it. But, at least I know where it is and lots of other things I have wondered what happened to. I can't imagine WHAT I was thinking when I packed that box. I suppose I was trying to trick someone - guess I was the one tricked.

Now, speaking of digging up things from the past....
Hugsum decided to set up our stereo... it is "only" 33 years old! Someone gave us a record (yes a REAL OLD record) and he wanted to listen to it. He had to go and get some speaker wires to set up the system. I know that we have miles of it someplace in a box somewhere in our house.

THIS is where he decided to set it up - RIGHT as you come in the front door... yeah, the first thing you see.... As he says, "but, Honey, no one else has one like it... it is PRICELESS"...


He certainly is right - no one has one because no one WANTS one! Look at all the parts... look at how huge the speakers are... do I dare pray it doesn't work?
I guess I should pray that we find a suitable place for this wonderful blast from the past.

3 comments:

The LaBouffs said...

yeah, I'll be looking thru that box of fabric :) ...and I'll tell dad tomorrow how junky it looks right at the front ;) i noticed it today, but just thought it got 'set' there while trying to find a better place for it!

Anonymous said...

Cracked me up because it is TOO TRUE!: "...what do you give to the Pastor and his wife when you don't know what else to give them... they may be starving and needing money desperately ... but someone says, "let's give them a SILVER TRAY!"

I think we have the same view on silver trays. Ugh.

I also have one of those dinosaur stereo systems under the bed in the guest room. Maybe I'm hoping it will transform itself into something useful.

Susan said...

I never got silver trays...but I have plenty of things that I really couldn't use. I love it though cause at one of our churches they started giving us Nativities. I have over 100 now. I usually showcase them on my blog at Christmas time.

Glad you found the ones that had some sentimental value.

The stereo cracked me up!!

Susan