Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

I was reading in Proverbs 14 this morning. There were a couple of things that really jumped out at me.

First, in verse 1 it says that a WISE woman builds her house. That hit me between the eyes. I have really been struggling trying to get my house "built"... in other words, get settled in and organized and decorated. I can't find things. I can't put things up, because I don't know where to put them... I have boxes and bins still hanging around all over the place just waiting to be emptied. Oh well, back to the wisdom here... I just need to be wise and diligent and dig in and DO it. There won't be a better, easier time - there is NOW and that is all I have.

Then, in verse 4 I was reading about oxen... where there are no oxen the manger is empty... but the strength of the ox brings an ABUNDANT harvest.

I at first quickly read over that. After all, I don't have any livestock (well, Andy)... then I was brought back to the verse.

I reread it... and began to apply it (hummmm a very novel idea when reading scripture, huh?)

I realized that it wasn't really the oxen or the manger that I was worried about... but those who are in my house (oxen) and the manger being empty referring to a CLEAN house...

Lest you think I'm calling hugsum and ox... well... never mind... he can be messy... but, he is so good to me!

I'm really thinking of children. You know when mine were real little they were messy and dirty and at times drove me up the wall with junk all over the place. I had to adjust and consider what was really important. Yes, a clean home is important, but my children and their training and our relationship was much MUCH more important.

So, the point here is in the "abundant harvest". I began to think about what the harvest is. My parents invested in me... much love and training and time and money and prayer and the list is forever long. Our relationship is one of love and honor and respect - it is priceless and a real treasure.

I am now watching my own grown children. I am so overwhelmed at the abundant harvest in their lives. They are all such wonderful people. I am blessed beyond measure with WHO they are and their lives... who they have married, their own children and how they train them.

When they were little "oxen", the manger was not empty and far from clean and neat... but I would say that I have an abundant harvest!

So, how are these two verses related? Well, you make the connection... wise woman/building house... oxen (those in your care)/abundant harvest... life is good!

1 comment:

LIFESPEAKER said...

You've set me thinking about the work of the ox.

But much revenue comes by the strength of the ox. NASB

a good harvest requires a strong ox for the plow. The Message

There are so many ways God can direct through these verses. Today, because I'm struggling physically this thinking has led me to thank Him for His strength. It is perfected in my weakness.

Amazes me how God leads my thinking somedays...........