Thursday, September 18, 2008

Birthday Cake...



I know that earlier this week I blogged about Rebekah's birthday. Two days before that was her husband's and two days later (that is today) is our son-in-law's and next Tuesday is Hugsum's and sometime between now and then will be Posey's birthday. In less than 3 weeks we will have SIX birthdays!

Well, I've never been know for my cake baking ability... you might remember the "beautiful" half pound cake I made....

Normally, since SIL's birthday is first he chooses the cake. He loves German Chocolate. We all do... you can't beat it - chocolate, nuts, coconut, caramel... yummmmm!

Well, Rebekah was getting a little tired of that kind of cake and she wanted a Carrot Cake. I remembered waaaaaayyyyy back that I had made hugsum a carrot cake when we first started dating and he loved it. I even found the recipe I had used.

In the process we began looking at other recipes in other books and found some with pineapple and some with coconut. So, I put one together combining several recipes.... and man oh man, even if I do say so myself, it turned out great!.... notice I said "great", not pretty....

Well, today in the "waiting" process we are baking another one. It seems that at SIL's work they do birthday cakes and the last one provides a cake for the next one. So, he needed a cake and guess what kind she wanted... yep, a carrot cake... which explains why we are making another of the same kind

This one turned out prettier than the last... want my recipe?


Carrot Cake

Mix all these ingredients in separate bowl:
2 cups plain flour (in the south we always use self-rising so I had to get some)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

In large bowl beat together until light and fluffy:
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Then slowly mix in dry ingredients

Then add in:
1 cup drained pineapple
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup coconut
3 cups grated carrots

Pour into 3 greased/floured (or pammed) cake pans and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes (toothpick will come out clean when done)

Cool and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting
which is just one 8 ounce package of cream cheese, one stick of REAL butter, one box of powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla all beaten together and then add 1 cup chopped nuts...

(Nuts are always optional... except in my case - the more the merrier or better)

Enjoy! I would post pictures, but... it tastes great - looks... ummmm

oh... it is better the next day! Really, it is... If you don't believe me, eat a piece now and then after you refrigerate it overnight have a piece for breakfast. You will love it! And yes, you do need to keep it refrigerated - except for the part you are eating, you can put it on a plate and sit at the table or in front of the tv or ... okay, you get the message....

3 comments:

LIFESPEAKER said...

My husband had a carrot cake for his b'day. We celebrated over the weekend even though it was Monday. You are much better than I. I got a Duncan Hines Decadant Carrot Cake and made home made cream cheese frosting. Your cake sounds fabulous.

The LaBouffs said...

I took pics before I left...you can upload them now :) I hope it tastes as good as the one you made me! I just ate me another piece...mmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum and double yum. Carrot cake is my all-time favorite dessert. You can eat it for breakfast or deesert! Hugs to all 6 of the birthday girls and boys. Now send cake please. ; )