Monday, September 15, 2008

Accent...

As you know we are transplants from Georgia. We talk "normal".

Recently, we were back home in Georgia. Our youngest daughter and her husband were there as well. While we were at our favorite eating place (Zaxbys), she suggested that we engage someone in conversation so her husband could hear the locals talking.

There is nothing more beautiful than a true Southern Accent (some call it "drawl"). It is like music to our ears...

There was a very kind lady standing close by and so I smiled at her and because it is completely a normal thing in Georgia to strike up a conversation with a stranger, I did. I asked a question and she was so kind and excited to answer. We talked for a few minutes and felt very comfortable.

Soon, she asked where we were from. I told her and she got so excited. She was from a town 20 minutes from where I live now! She was leaving the next day heading back home! She was not from Georgia at all, but a small Midwestern town!!!!!

She did not know why we had asked the question to begin with, but she responded like a true Southerner. Her husband had been working with Habitat for Humanity and she had learned the ways - even though she missed her home state and family.

We laughed and laughed... we did not get to hear the much desired accent, but we did experience the much desired friendliness... and made a friend!

Small world full of surprises....

2 comments:

The LaBouffs said...

Just because we talk slow doesn't make us stupid!! I wouldn't say it was a drawl at all...that's more texan...

one thing i can't stand is someone NOT from the south trying to talk with a southern accent...and when I say south, I mean, the DEEP south. Oklahoma is NOT south regardless of what they say!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how there are truly regions for southern accents. I can usually tell the difference between Georgia and Alabama. Georgian is more musical. Texas is altogether different. I don't think I have much of an accent (grew up in S. Florida), but people from other states comment on my accent on the phone so I guess I do!

Praying for that smooth and healthy delivery.