Monday, November 2, 2009

Lessons Learned ....

In my last post I shared that we had been home to visit my parents. Our first visit was hard. Mama was not having a good day. Daddy was not having a good day. We did not have a good day.

On our way back home we stopped again.

My mama taught me some things about love. She has always loved deeply. She always told me she loved me when I talked to her on the phone or came to visit.

There were times in my life that I caused her much pain and sorrow and hurt her deeply. Yet, she always loved me. She did not reject me or turn her back on me. She just loved me in my stupidity and foolishness.

That last night we were in Georgia mama smiled when we came in and greeted us with love and recognition (well, not really sure how much she recognized us, but she did love us!)

She went to bed about 8. She did not want to stay in bed. She is so childlike that she was afraid she would miss something going on. But, she was SO sweet! Daddy put her back to bed and when I went by her room she was attempting to get up again. So, I just went in and asked what she was doing and encouraged her to lay back down. Then, I had a God inspired idea. I plopped myself on the bed next to her and asked if she remembered when I was a little girl and I would sleep with her when daddy traveled. She smiled and laughed and said, yes that she did.

Our special time got better and better. She constantly patted my face and arm and told me over and over how much she loved me. She had me cuddle up to her and put my head on her chest and just snuggle up. She just kissed my face and told me she loved me over and over and over.

Then she began to tell me that she always loved me... all my life. She loved me as much as the others (I'm assuming as much as she did my sister and brother). She said she wanted me to be the best I could and that she loved me just like I was. No matter what I did, she always loved me. She said that when she was in Macon she was the happiest because I did what she wanted me to do. (That is when we went into the ministry.)

She blessed me. Yes, literally. She said "Bless you, my child, you belong to me."

I managed to keep from crying while I was in there. When I walked out, I knew that I had been given a very special gift from God. It is one that I will always cherish.

I learned many things about love that night.

1. Love is for always
2. Love truly is patient and kind
3. Love never gives up
4. Love really does not take account of things done
5. Love does not die
6. Love shows through even when you don't remember the person - you just know you love them.
7. Love overlooks the bad in people
8. Love will hope for the best
9. Love shows in people's eyes
10. No matter what you go through, if you have love, you can make it
11. Love is faithful and gentle
12. Love is happiest when we are doing what we are supposed to do
13. Love is for us
14. Love will be there...
15. Love understands
16. Love does not condemn when we do it wrong
17. Love helps you when you realize what a mess you made
18. Love is a wonderful gift from God

There are so many more things I learned. I'm so thankful for my parents. I feel the same love from my daddy, too. They have both been a strong tower of love and support for me.

2 comments:

Thena said...

Sounds like you have wonderful parents. You are truly blessed.

Beverlydru said...

What a powerful post. What an awesome expression of how precious you are to God when he gave you that time with your mother. I think that my bigggest aspiration is to always walk in love. Impossible on a human level but with God, all things are possible!