Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday Stirrings - Chocolate Chip Pie

Carol at I Throw Like A Girl, celebrates Saturdays with fun recipes. Here is my humble offering to Saturday Stirrings.

This is an easy delicious recipe that always gets rave reviews. My cousin, Sharon, gave me this recipe over 25 years ago and it has been a family favorite ever since.

In fact, I took it to a covered dish fellowship meal one time during revival. It was a huge mistake because the ladies at that particular church take much pride in their ability to cook. The visiting preacher took a bite and let out a hoot and said, "this is so good it makes ya want to slap yer mama!"... well, evidently the competition was on and they were upset that my dessert received the highest compliments. I was informed before the next meal that there was "no need" for me to bring anything. :)

So, thanks Sharon for the recipe...

Chocolate Chip Pie

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 small bag chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate or even white chocolate)
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
2 pie shells, or one deep dish shell

Mix the chips and nuts with about 2 tablespoons of the flour. Mix all the other ingredients together and then add the chips and nuts. (this keeps them from falling to the bottom when it is cooked)
Pour into pie shells. (I usually make 2 pies, but sometimes when it is something real special I make the one deep dish for a nice presentation. But after a big meal, the 2 smaller ones are perfect.)

Bake at 325 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes for the 2 pies. Toothpick comes out clean when done. You will have to cook longer, 45 min to an hour for the deep dish.

NOTE: I have used butterscotch chips or a combination of whatever chips I have. When it is still hot, it is delicious with ice cream... After it is cool, it can be sliced and eaten with the hands and you don't need a fork and plate.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

larkswing said...

I make this too and it is fabulous! But I have not thought about the butterscotch chips - that would be great too!

Anonymous said...

I must make this. Yum. I love your story too!