Monday, November 17, 2008

Fall into Flavor - Brunswick Stew

Today is the last day that Lid over at 2nd Cup of Coffee is hosting the fun food meme of "Fall Into Flavor". You should jump over there and catch up on her fun blog (okay, so I really typed "flog" which is a merger of "fun" and "blog".)

I wanted to post some really awesome recipe that would "wow" you with my cooking skills and abilities.... a recipe that speaks of my heritage and a true comfort food that spreads warmth and love and joy all through your body and being...

So, I chose "Brunswick Stew". I really don't know the origination of this delightful concoction. The original version was made in huge iron pots hanging over an open fire. The ingredients were "interesting" and you really didn't want to know what went in it... I'm sure that there were a few squirrels, coons, possums, etc... that made all that much more tasty. It was an all day process and well worth the effort (well, with all the wild things in it).

It is chocked full of pork, beef, chicken, tomatoes, corn and potatoes... what's not to love?

The first time I ever went to someone's home to help them make some - I almost lost my entire year's worth of eating and never touched the stuff again. My dear friend, IlaMae had a pot on her stove when I walked in. I thought something was falling out because it was "flapping" over the edge. So I went to rescue it... at which point I was horrified... There in the pot looking up at me was a REAL hog's head!!!! Seriously... looking at me... ears flapping in the boiling water...

It didn't help that I was pregnant with my third child...

However, because I LOVED Brunswick Stew I learned to eat it again... just to make sure who made it and what they put in it. Then a dear friend gave me a recipe that I could handle. It makes LOTS - takes about 15 minutes and is delicious!

Here is the simplest recipe you can imagine. The hardest part is finding the stuff in the grocery store!

Brunswick Stew

1 24 oz can Castleberry's Brunswick Stew
2 10 oz cans Castleberry's BBQ pork
2 10 oz cans Castleberry's BBQ beef
2 10 oz cans Castleberry's BBQ chickene
2 7 oz cans Corn (one creamed, one whole kernel)
2 16 oz cans Tomatoes cubed
1 TBS Vinegar
1 TBS Lemon juice
1 TBS Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Open all cans and pour into LAGE pot
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer.
Stir often...

Note: I also cut up some potatoes and cook in the microwave while I'm opening all the cans and add them to the pot.

You don't have to use Castleberry's - I just know and trust that brand.... you can buy frozen bbq and use that... We have had to make adjustments out here since we can't buy the same ingredients here (Castleberry brand things).

It is like soup... it gets better and better as it ages... I always had a big pot on the stove when the kids would come home from college. It was a warm welcome and filling after such a long (18 hours) drive home.

Hope you enjoy it and please go over to 2'nd Cup of Coffee to see more great recipes@

5 comments:

larkswing said...

This sounds good! I think it is funny how many people around here dislike brunswick stew - including my husband. I have asked him why since he eats all other soups (and he eats vienna sausage - horrid!) But he doesn't seem to have an answer.

BUT, I like it! This recipes sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oh Merrie, what a story. I felt better when I saw CANNED goods for the ingredients. LOL.

Teresa said...

Brunswick Stew is very popular around here this time of year! I've had it before, but never made it. Thanks for the recipe.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh my goodness, you tell the BEST stories to go along with your recipes! The stories are just as much fun for me. And thanks for completely inventing a new word I'm going to be using, "flog." You are too much! Great recipe, sweet friend. Thanks for playing along throughout this meme.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You have to come read my latest post.