Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Random Dozen

My friend, Linda, at 2nd Cup of Coffee has this meme. This is the 7th week and my first jump into the pool.



So, I'm going to try my hand at this...

1. I've always wondered why we were taught both printing and cursive. Do you prefer to print or write cursive? (Keyboard is not a choice.)

Well, my handwriting is HORRIBLE, no matter which way I write. I tend to start out one way and halfway through the word switch to the other. If I am not sure how to spell a word, I will unconsciously go to cursive because most people can't read it and so don't know if the word is spelled correctly or not.

2. Are you a dreamer or a realist?

I THINK I'm a dreamer. I have lots and lots of dreams that I'd love to see come to pass. I was more of a dreamer in my younger days, but now I see myself becoming more of a realist. I hate that! Without dreams life is dull and hopeless. The realism tends to kill the dreams for me.

3. Billy Joel or Elton John?.

Is it okay to say neither one? I never listened to Elton John and I can't remember ever listening to Billy Joel. If my radio is on, it is tuned to a Christian station - but it is rarely turned on. I enjoy the quiet even on long trips. If I want to listen to something I'll put in a cd of my choosing. I guess it comes down to the control issue. I want to be in control of what I listen to and on the radio I have no choice except "on" or "off"... so, my choice is "off".

4. What is the scariest movie you've ever seen? Not just horror flicks but also ones where the tension or suspense is killer, for example, Flightplan (2005): A bereaved woman and her daughter are flying home from Berlin to America. At 30,000 feet the child vanishes and nobody admits she was ever on that plan.

The Hounds of the Baskervilles when I was about 10. I went with a friend to a Saturday matinee and it was playing. I hid between the seats with my eyes closed tight and fingers in my ears while humming. I remember having nightmares for years about that movie. So, needless to say, I don't watch them. I will not stay around or go to a scary movie. I'm just plain chicken!

5. Now what is the scariest real-life moment you've had?

Not long after 9-11 we were flying into the Tulsa airport making our descent when suddenly the plane completely changed speed and took off again. It was very scary because we did not know what was happening only that we were almost on the ground slowing down then we completely changed course and took off again. Our imaginations went crazy. All my children happened to be in Tulsa at the time and I had thoughts of terrorists attacks and all sorts of bad things. Evidently, there was a plane on our runway that had not moved out of the way and we almost ran into it. That thought in itself was pretty scary. Thank goodness - I still have no fear of flying and love to travel!

6. What word do you misspell without fail?

adn ... if I'm typing. Too many others if writing. I'm not a natural good speller.

7. Name something you like to do but are not really talented or good at?

I love to sew and do crafts. I used to sew all the time and make all my clothes. But, in the last 25 years I have not sewn much and when I do it doesn't turn out like I imagined. I have a hard time with getting the right pattern and fabric and style and fit... Makes me wonder how I must have looked all those years that I made all my clothes. I'm sure I looked pretty "homemade".

8. Do you get your emotional/mental batteries recharged by being around people or by having alone time?

I HAVE to have my alone time. I love people and I love being around people, but if I don't get some time by myself - completely alone, no one in the house or expected home - then I can get real irritable and grumpy. There are days that I figure that if I had the internet I could easily be a hermit. Just let me know there are people out there and I'm fine in here by myself.

Then there are days that I really want to be out and with people... of course, mostly I'm never alone, so those days are few.

9. Have you ever been on TV?

Yes. When I was a little girl I was on the local kids show. Then I was on a show and interviewed about my children and how I raised them and taught them and some neat things about how I was told I couldn't have children and would never get pregnant, but God blessed me with 4.

10. Apple or pumpkin pie? (Don't be greedy.)

Well, I'll just take half apple and half pumpkin then. Truthfully, when given a choice of desserts I usually opt for a sample of each. (Explains why I had a weight problem.) I only like pumpkin around the holidays if I have whipped cream. I like apple pie if it has a crunchy topping (more like a crisp) and if it is homemade - okay, so I'm a pie snob!

11. How many magazine subscriptions do you have?

I have way too many because I don't read them. They are stacked up waiting for me to read. I feel guilty throwing them away - like I'm wasting. Okay... so I have six - I think. I did not renew four others. I get hooked when I get a renewal notice for like $6 a year... I have several that I got to share with my daughter. She doesn't have time to read them now either, so they just sit.

12. What lesson do you have to keep re-learning?

to stay in peace - knowing that God will work out all things for His glory and my good....

2 comments:

Joyce said...

It was fun to meet you here today : )

I am not the world's best flyer so I wouldn't have done so great in your place I'm afraid. We've been living in London the past few years and fairly often a plane touches down at Heathrow and has to quickly go airborne again...I think a runway is a bit on the short side...anyway, thankfully someone warned me of that before I experienced it or I would have completely lost it. My husbands boss had it happen twice in one week. So glad you landed safely.

I travel alot...I joke that God likes to remind me I'm not in control and there's nothing like flying to remind me of that!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I think you should blog about #9.

The airplane story is just about my worst nightmare.

Thanks for playing this week!

have a great weekend. ADN talk to you on FB!