Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Random Dozen #8

We have Linda's meme of Random Dozen today. Check out her blog and join in the fun!


1. Candy corn: Your thoughts?

Candy corn - YES! We actually use candy corn at my house all year. We use it as bribes - I mean, PRIZES for going potty or minding or doing what I want ... It works great! Right now I have a jar filled with the "Harvest Mix" and I have stocked up on the chocolate (Indian corn). That is as far as I go with the flavored ones. I got the caramel apple last year and had to throw it out.

2. Briefly, what was the first conversation you ever had with your spouse? (or best friend, if you're not married.) (Or someone significant, like your librarian.)

I'd love to think that it was some romantic, deep conversation. It wasn't that at all. Not earth shaking except that I was madly in love and knew I wanted to marry him and he hardly knew I existed. I probably made a fool over myself saying something totally blond and dumb.

3. Could you ever become a vegetarian?

Easily. I could be a fruitarian (meaning eat nothing but fruit). Not so healthy, but I'd be happy. I don't really care if I have meat with a meal. I do want some butter, cheese, yogurt, and eggs, so I would not be able to be vegan (no animal products).

4. Have you ever dressed up your pet in a costume?

As a child, all the time. As an adult, yes. I have a Santa Claus outfit I put on Andy at Christmas (duh).

5. Name something about childhood that you miss (like Clark Bars, Teaberry Gum, Malibu Barbie, cracking fake eggs on people's heads with your fist and "It's the Great Pumpkin" airing only once a year).

The good music, the "good" tv, the carefree life, getting together with cousins and aunts and uncles (extended family), penny candy, walking to the store with a dime for a nickle coke and 5 cents worth of candy that would last all day.... good times and good memories...

6. Have you ever won a trophy? If not, what do you deserve a trophy for?

I can't remember personally winning a trophy, but I count every one my children won as "mine".

7. When do you think is the appropriate time to begin playing Christmas music each year?

I truthfully enjoy it year round. Yeah, I'm one of those people who could easily leave my decorations up all year. I just enjoy the feelings Christmas music evokes of joy and excitement, generosity, anticipation and surprises. Makes me warm all over just thinking about it!

8. What's your favorite board game?

I grew up playing Clue. I still love it. I'm good at figuring it out, too. It was Miss Scarlet with the lead pipe in the conservatory!

9. How do you feel about surprises (receiving, not giving)?

It depends ... if I'm dressed cute and feeling good, then I love both giving and receiving surprises. If I feel dumpy and ugly, then I don't enjoy being surprised because I'm feeling to bad to appreciate it. (I know that answer shows my flesh and insecurity - but it was the first thought.)
If I am sure that the recipient will like what I'm surprising them with, then I LOVE to give surprises.

10. Is it easy for you to say, "I'm sorry?"

Yes. I am guilty of taking too much responsibility for things that are not my fault. So I say "I'm sorry", often. If I have been hurt and blamed for something that I did not do and the other person is offended, it will take me some time to get to the point of saying it, but I do say it and mean it.

11. What is your favorite candle scent?

I like a fruity scent or vanilla... but, since I have lost a good bit of my smelling ability, then it doesn't matter. But, cinnamon burns my nose.

12. October is traditionally "open house" time in public schools. If you had a literal open house in your home (like a reception) what light snacks would you serve visitors and what would you show them (as in art projects, graded papers) that would uniquely represent you?

Oh, Lid! Having lived in a parsonage for many MANY years and having to (getting to) have the world come in and inspect our home, this is a sore subject. But, I'll answer sweetly. :)

Okay, I would offer a light punch (in color - b/c you don't want it spilled on your carpet and stained, and in calories - b/c most people are watching their weight.) I would also have something hot, either cider, coffee or spiced tea.
Also, I would have homemade fudge, cookies, and cheese straws. I would also have peanuts and mints (maybe homemade). I'd try to keep it simple and easy. They are not there to fill up... BUT, if I needed to, I'd add some pigs in the blanket, sausage balls, dip and crackers, Swedish meatballs, cake, chips, chex mix...

I would give them tour of the home pointing out the parsonage furniture and the changes and improvements made since the last open house. I would show them pictures of our children and my Thomas Kincaid lighted village (that is still packed up right now). I'm pretty modest so I probably wouldn't actually point out the village, but just sort of walk them over to it and stand and talk. ... But, I would for sure tell them all about the kids and grandkids.

Now, go over to Linda's at 2nd Cup of Coffee and check out the rest of the wonderful blogs who are joining in.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Fun answers, Merrie!

I love candy corn, too...but I can't say I've had the caramel apple ones. Might have to pass on that.

And I enjoy Christmas music throughout the year, too! DH and I even have a Thanksgiving meal in the summer time!

And I liked your answer to #12. :-)
Have a great day!

Robin Lambright said...

Confession time....Clue is my least favorite board game because I always loose. I even lose at clue jr. it's pathetic I know. I can kick your butt at trivial pursuit but can't put two and two together to figure out what's going on....sad but true!
Mr. Mustard, Miss Scarlett with the crowbar in the library, it all makes my head spin...

How fun is this!

Blessings
Robin