Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Marriage

Today I am celebrating my 36th anniversary! Wow... I am so amazed!!!! You know, I never considered BEING 36 and now I've been married that long. I'm thankful. I'm blessed. I'm loved and I am "in" love.

Yesterday we were eating lunch at Pepper's Grill. It is a new place for us. We decided to venture out to a place we hadn't tried. It was great!

We were sitting there enjoying our delicious salads and nice quite conversation. A lady was sitting alone at a table next to us. There were 4 menus and silverware/napkin packs on the table so I knew she was waiting for others to join her.

Eventually a younger man (late 30's)and then 2 younger women (mid - late 20's) joined her. The man was loud and brash and asked what beers were on special and when the happy hour started. He talked loud and was very opinionated. Evidently one of the girls was considering marriage because he began a monologue on marriage.

Now, he did not have on a wedding ring and obviously was not married - yet he was "waxing eloquent" about his philosophy of marriage and the pitfalls of finding a man at their age who was not already divorced with children.

As we were about to leave he began to say..."you know, marriage is like a business. It is a partnership..."

I couldn't help myself. I had heard much too much. I stopped by the table (yes, I hate to admit that I turned into one of "those"). I touched the young lady on the arm and said, "excuse me, but he is wrong."

He was stunned, but quiet! She looked at me and smiled and said, "he IS!"

I smiled and said, "yes, marriage is about commitment, relationship and love. It is for life! I know, we are celebrating 36 years and counting..."

Then I walked away holding my husband's hand - the one I have held for 36 years now. Thankful for our commitment of love for life. Businesses come and go but love never fails!

3 comments:

larkswing said...

Congratulations on the happy day!! So glad you became one of them for that lady!

Heidi said...

Congrats! Looks like you share an anniversary date with Sara here
http://thebowyers.blogspot.com/2009/07/25-years.html You'll enjoy her blog.

Happy Anniversary!
Heidi

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Good for you! Happy, happy anniversary!